There are poems that have, literally, changed my life, because they have changed the way I looked at and listened to the world; there are poems that, on repeated reading, have gradually revealed to me areas of my own experience that, for reasons both personal and societal’ These are words of John Burnside, a Poet & winner of TS Eliot, 2012.
The question of whether the art of Poetry& Public Speaking can change our way of thinking is so practical.This form of art educates, promotes creativity, and provides a cultural context and expressive model that supports openness and emotional honesty. People who write poetry exercise insight and sensitivity, sometimes in profound and illuminating ways. The act of creating poetry & speech reinforces ego strengths, including realizations about who I am, what I think, what my life has been like, what I want, and what I can accomplish.
Writing poetry & delivery of speech is a natural process for people in pain. It provides a basis for greater interpersonal communication about personal issues and for stronger relationships. The courage to stamp out vices is visible & evident through writing and speaking.Specific Objectives
- To enable kids and youths develop their poetry & public speaking for education.
- To promote self-esteem, education, skills and abilities through poetry & public speaking.
- To enable youths use poetry & public speaking as a profession and earn a living.
- To use poetry & public speaking as a tool to promote behavior change.
With your financial support, Nameta Trust will be able to run Poetry and Public Speaking, one of the programs in the organization. We will be able to organise workshops for our artists, trainers and students who aspire to become great poets and public speakers. More so we will enter youths to one of the main festivals in Africa, The Eastern Africa Festival and Kenya Music Festivals. Also we will;
- Organize our annual Nameta Festival.
- Organize contests and events for the youths.
- Educational tours.
- Increase feasibility of our organization with a prime goal of championing for Social Change.
- Run club activities in schools and youth groups.
- Organize a 5T Project that will emphasize on curriculum for Social Change.